What is the Arts Society of Kingston?
- An umbrella organization for all manner of artistic education and performance
- A well-appointed venue, with two beautiful art galleries and a 99-seat performance space
- The Great Room for the Arts performance space includes a stage, curtains, lights, a sound system, and a beautiful oak floor ideal for dancing
- Gallery Openings each First Saturday of the month, 24 shows per year
- Discounted rates on use of space for our members
- Ample classroom space for classes or workshops
Members can benefit by seeking to realize an artistic vision at ASK with a specific project or exhibition.
Founded in 1995 by local artists in Kingston, NY, ASK today has grown to become a not-for-profit, 501-C-3, membership organization with over 300 members. Among ASK members you will find many talented, highly respected professional artists, as well as emerging artists and supporters of the arts.
In 2005, ASK acquired the building at 97 Broadway in Kingston and has been renovating it for use as its new headquarters, exhibition space and multi-arts center. In the Summer of 2015 we finished the renovation of the second floor of the building. Please see our Great Room page for more details.
The Arts Society of Kingston’s (ASK) mission is to enrich the quality of life by bringing artistic experiences to the communities of Kingston, Ulster and Dutchess Counties and the Mid-Hudson Valley. ASK provides a rich and vibrant range of visual art exhibitions, performances, workshops, classes, and other arts-related events in its multi-arts facility.
What does ASK offer for visual artists?
ASK provides opportunities to promote their work through group and solo exhibitions at ASK: during the year, ASK hosts 10-12 members’ shows in one of its galleries at its headquarters at 97 Broadway near the Rondout in Kingston, as well as shows of featured artists at the same location and off-premises shows elsewhere in the area. ASK’s ground floor is handicapped accessible.
- opportunities to promote their work through group and solo exhibitions at ASK
- 10-12 members’ shows in one of its galleries at the ASK Arts Center: bring your work to the open show for a $10 hanging fee
- ASK sponsors several annual solo shows (by application)
- ASK features one Distinguished Artist each year by invitation
- annual juried shows for painting, and for photography, both of which attract a wealth of high-quality submissions.
ASK has hosted shows high school and college artists, and invites neighboring arts groups from the region to show at ASK ASK has hosted shows by Kingston High School and elementary schools student artists, as well as shows by Bard, Marist College, SUNY New Paltz and SUNY Ulster artists. ASK also regularly invites neighboring arts groups from the region to show at ASK
What about the Performing Arts?
ASK is home to many performances including plays, musicals, dance, acoustic open mics, music performances, poetry readings and much more.